Friday 17 July 2015

Opening Impressions: Gravity Falls: "Where's my phone? I need to call them"

I swear this wasn't intentional, considering as a 3DS game has been announced for this series recently.

Round 2 of the Adventure Time art style marathon, and today we travel to Disney. With the amount of stuff they've done, I don't think there's a person alive who hasn't seen a Disney show or movie in some form. So let's see what child friendly Disney does in this style, as we travel to Gravity Falls.




So stop me if you've herd this before. The main characters, who are children, have to go to the woods for their summer vacation, and it turns out that the area has dark secrets, in this case, any form of magical creature you can think of. Anyone else getting a sense of dejavu? Yeah, this trope has been done to death but, for me at least, I can live with reused tropes if the characters hold up the plot.

"Hi, I'm not a zombie"
"No seriously, I *cough, I mean We aren't a zombie

Which, for the most part, they do. Dipper and Mabel work really well as twins, with a believable sibling relationship and strong personalities. With the story revolving around them mainly, as they learn the dark secrets of the town, it almost has a Camp Lazlo theme to it, though that could be a false memory on my part. Grunkle Stan (yes that is his name) is your typical but loveable con man. Soos almost serves as the older brother of Dipper and Mabel, due to his inner child personality and Wendy is probably the first Disney teenage girl that, while very stereotypical, is never unbearable, at least not yet. I will admit that I'm saying that as a kid who grew up in the 2000's, where teenagers were designed as unbearable characters, even in shows where they were the stars due to the use of stereotypes. You want a prime example? Look up a show called Life with Boys, a show where, to me, every character is awful and unbearable... (don't ask).
"Combine into Gnomasor"

The art style's fine and it works for the story, however it does lead to some great comedic moments, some of which I'm using as a base for my own jokes here. This show tends to lean more to visual humor rather then verbal humor, but in a "young child friendly" version of Family Guy's humor, again, this is Disney. Music's decent, nothing really sticks in my head, but that also means there's no tracks I hate.
Because you can't have a chase sequence without a pane of glass, can you?

I'm curious to see where this goes because there's a stronger sense of world building and continuity here then there was in Steven Universe, and like with Log Horizon, I enjoy these characters because the show has given them enough development to be enjoyable characters. I'll see you all on Monday for the reviews of, what many regard as the greatest game ever made, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

And here's a few more gags
Who gave the 12 year old Pyrovision?

"We found it, the Freddy Fazbear's Pizzeria"


And by the way, encase you don't get the title joke, this is why:

No comments:

Post a Comment