Wednesday 15 July 2015

First Impressions: Suicide Squad: "What joke?"

I can see your attempts at covering this up Wanner Brothers, but did you seriously think you could control this?
"Am I freaking you out yet?"



So not only did WB show up with Dawn of Justice news, but also news on that other movie they're working on for next year, Suicide Squad, and thanks to people leaking it online, I can talk about it with a good quality one that WB decided to release, Thank you.

So what do we know based on the trailer: Amanda Waller has gathered some of DC's villains to form a "Suicide Squad", to do things that the government won't send soldiers to do, as they are suicide missions. What is the mission, we don't know. Who are the members? Look at the image.

The reason I say this is because of my views on the costume design, I don't know what to say about this. With the exception of Deadshot, Waller and maybe Harley, I'm not a fan of these costumes. Most of them are unrecognizable to me, though that maybe because I don't actually know who most of these characters are, and some of them suffer for it. The worst one is Killer Croc, who to me, should be a lot bigger, and a lot more croc like. Its one of the times I wished they'd gone for CGI, because this... this is the reason why CGI exists... Now granted, I could be proven wrong later on when we see more of the movie and when its released, these are just my views now.

And then there's the obvious one, The Joker. Now Jared Leto does a scary performance, I'm genuinely terrified by the performance. However when I see it, I don't see Joker. To me, the costume design resembles more of Zsasz, and I think its more of WB rather then the movie itself. I mentioned earlier that these movies have a "No fun" policy at the moment, and to me, this goes against the idea of The Joker. Yes, the Joker is still a psychotic killer, but it still has a comedic edge to it, in varying degrees depending on who the target audience is. He's not just a pure killer, which is the impression I got from what little we saw of him in this (though he still has more screen time then Wonder Woman did in Dawn of Justice)

I don't know what to make of this movie right now, and I don't know if its the movie's fault or mine. Most of my knowledge of the Suicide Squad is because of Assault on Arkham, and to go from that to... this... I'm genuinly lost for words, as I said, I don't know what to make of it. The other main reason why is because everytime I think of this trailer, the first thing to come in my mind is the lyrics they used for the background music, with one line in particular: "That the joke was on me". Is the mission to kill Zsasz Joker? I may do a follow up when another trailer gets released and we get more info, but until then, I'll see you in a few hours for the trailer I have things to gloat about: Five Nights at Freddy's 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment