Friday 22 January 2016

Star Wars Episode V; The Empire Strikes Back: Time to spoil the spoiler I and the internet already spoiled

So now we come to Episode 5. We're almost at the end of this. But first, we must come to the movie that, to my knowledge, is one of the most spoiled movies of all time. Chances are if you haven't seen this movie, you know what happens in it. So let's get to it, shall we?



After a battle on the ice planet Hoth, Luke, who's slightly more adept at his force powers, and R2-D2 travel to the swamp planet of Dagobah to find Yoda to train him as Obi-wan, is dead. Everyone else gets attacked by Imperial forces and eventually travels to Cloud City. Upon ariving, everything goes to scrap. Han is frozen in Carbonite, C-3PO is torn to pieces, Luke looses his hand and, of course, we learn that Darth Vader is Luke's father. This has been spoiled to death on the internet, I already spoiled it in the episode 3 review, along with the next movie's big spoiler, as such I'm not sorry for the lack of a Spoiler Warning. And yes, the plot really is that simple. Taking away everything that happens in between as it's just build up for those, that's it. As I said for the Clone Wars, I will take a simple plot with no padding over a complex and padded plot any day, and if you can somehow go into this without it being spoiled, you'll enjoy the twist.
Worst. Tanks. Ever!

The CGI additions have been toned back for this. There isn't as much CGI, and as I said for Episode 4, the establishing shots and the colour blades I think work well, I think these additions work for the movie. On top of this, you can tell they had a bit more of a budget for it as well, so visually it looks a lot better in comparison to episode 4. In terms of writing though. I never get the "forced exposition" feeling like I had with the other live action movies, and with better direction, the acting feels the most natural out of all the live action films so far. Not perfect, but better. Music? Need I repeat myself?
I care so little for spoilers that I'll show you the clip of the spoiler

The darker tone may turn people off, but as an overall film, this is the best of the live action films for me. It has a darker tone, but it doesn't try to be as hard boiled as many, many, MANY other franchises are nowadays. It has a nice balance, and the CG isn't as intrusive for the most part. We have two more films to go for the Star Wars Marathon, so come Monday: Return of the Jedi.

No comments:

Post a Comment