Wednesday 15 June 2016

Opening Impressions: Wolverine and the X-Men

I do feel kinda bad for not being able to do more X-Men content this year, and until I can get the other movies done, I probably won't get to Apocalypse for a little bit. However, there are other things we can do, like this here. A TV show I could have sworn was apart of Marvel's current animated universe, but everything I've seen on the matter suggests otherwise. So, lets take a look at the opening (or rather, first 50%) of Wolverine and the X-Men.




Why do I say 50%, well, unfortunately, this only has one season, a second was planned, but never came to light. So what do we have here? We have a split of two major plots. One involving Professor Xavier, who has been in a coma for 20 years, waking up to a world in ruin thanks to the Sentinels, large robots designed to capture Mutants. Using Cerebro, a device he uses to amplify his powers, Professor X contacts the X-Men of the past... somehow... telling them of ways they can hopefully stop the awful future from happening. This team, after 10 episodes, consisting of Wolverine, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Beast, Kitty Pryde, Iceman, Storm and Forge. If you would allow me a tangent, I have one issue with the X-Men as a whole. Not really a big thing for the live action movies, so far, and this show, but for the comics and what Marvel can control as a whole. In a world where Superheroes are a thing, why is the world afraid of Mutants? Or for that matter, as they're becoming more and more important, the Inhumans? And as another thing, why would the Mutants hate the Inhumans as a "species"? Little nitpicks, but still. Again, not an issue here as no other heroes are really introduced, the major focus is on the Mutants.

As for the cast itself, they are all really interesting. A bit more down to earth in comparison to the other Marvel shows airing right now, but for the subject, its kinda expected. They all have their, from what little info I have on them, personalities from the comics, so they work off each other really well. If I have to make one complaint, it's that they feel a little bit too grounded. Not Zack Snyder levels of shoulder weight, but its also no smiles and rainbows. I'd personally like a bit more light hearted moments to it, but not much.

I swear I'm not joking with this, but I genuinely thought that this was a part of the Marvel animated universe, as this show along with the actual shows of the animated universe share the same art style, with the only difference being character designs for Fury and the Hulk, and maybe Wolverine. But still, the animation for this is beautiful, just similar to other Man of Action animations, another one of the reasons why I thought this was apart of Marvel's animated universe. Music though, is kinda forgetful. Nothing about the soundtrack stands out at all, which is the big issue I have with this. But if that's my biggest complaint, then suffice to say that it is good overall. Worth looking into if you have some time to kill. We're not quite done yet with E3 so come back for more day summaries, and I will see you all on Sunday, where we'll finally get to Swindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment