Wednesday 17 January 2018

TMNT Marathon: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003): Ow, the edge

Gritty, realistic, anime like in style. Three things you wouldn't associate with something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would you? An argument could be made on those first two and the movies, but that would depend on if a Michael Bay movie matches the description of the word "realistic". I will give him this, his version of realistic is better than some video game definitions. From the late 80's to the early 2000's, allow me to look back at the series that got me into the Turtles originally with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003... and here I thought Transformers was bad with reusing the name "Robots in Disguise".


To get into some backstory here, while I once owned these episodes as a child, I have not seen them since watching next weeks review subject when it was in cinemas. While vague memories did clear up, they were vague enough for me to basically be going into these blind.




Also as another thing. I hate this intro with a capital HATE. I'm not a fan overall of intros that spell out everything there is in a show. There are great examples of it done well, such as Animaniacs, but there are also examples like this show where it feels like it should end, but just keeps going. If you don't know how to count to four, watch this intro, you'll learn really quickly.

To save me the trouble of repeating myself from the last review, the backstory and context to the show are extremely similar, but there are enough differences between the 87 show and this show to have them stand out. In doing research, a lot of the changes seem to be made to bring the show closer to the original Mirage comics, such as separating Yoshi and Splinter, making the Purple Dragons a more important aspect of the world, among other smaller changes. Granted, this doesn't remain a constant aspect of the show because the sixth season goes 100 years into the future and then the seventh one apparently goes back to the past while trying to bring in things from the then-recent movie and I've gone crosseyed. Point being, if you'd rather a show that was closer to the comics, you've got one here, but with the added grit to the characters, I can understand why it originally turned people off who were fans of the original show. (and for the record, this is more of a "Season 1 review", It's a little hard reviewing seven seasons of a show in a week, and yes I know I had two thanks to the Podcast, but that doesn't mean I had two weeks to dedicate).

In terms of the characters. Overall I do like the changes made to them compared to the original show. There are very few major changes made to them, Mikey seems to be stuck in the 87 show, with the one big exception being Raphael. Remember, all I've seen from the 87 show so far is the first "season", so comparing those two Raphs, I'll admit I like the old one more. In the old show, I took him as more of a smart ass rather than an edgy, angry rebel whereas here, its obvious he's the edgy, angry rebel of the team and I honestly don't find that as interesting because it feels more like a "been there, done that", especially when Casey Jones comes in and is basically another hothead rebel. One of the best upgrades though is given to Shredder, who aside from having a nastier, far more intimidating design, has time to breath and feel like a more imposing threat thanks to episode stories being more paced out. While there is still an air of "BUY OUR TOYS!" in the presentation, again, kids show. It does try to present itself as a story first and foremost. It takes three episodes to finish with the Mousers (for example), and there is no sign of Bebop, Rocksteady, the Technodrome or Krang (I cannot vouch for if they are in the show at all, just not the episodes I have seen).

In terms of presentation, it is a product of its time. This was still when there was a big anime craze, on the tail end of it honestly, so there was western animation in the style of anime. Other examples being Teen Titans and Avatar the Last Airbender (I said in the style of, not exact). There are times where they use stock backgrounds for fights (though not as bad as Pokemon was), aspect ratios changing for more serious, or more "epic" moments (nowhere near as bad as Last Knight's "every time the camera changes" editing) and other small touches like that. There are even times when it goes comic book mode and shows the same moment in three panels at three different angles. It's fine for what it is, but there is one thing about the presentation that I do find rather interesting.

Overall, this feels like a show made before its time to me. A remake of an 80's-90's tv show that draws inspiration from both the cartoon and the original comic books the first cartoon was from, creating new stories, expanding on old stories, and all the while trying to make the best show they can by a team that looks like they were fans of the source. Does that remind you of anything? Maybe something released last year based on ducks? While it might not be as faithful as something like Ducktales or (as another comparison) Thunderbirds Are Go, its still a solid show and one I personally think doesn't deserve the... lets call it "mixed at best" opinions I've been hearing about the show. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why people don't like it, but is it as bad as I've heard? Not really. While I will go into it with an open mind, I wish I could say the same thing about the next review as it is what got me out of the series because of how bad of a time I had with it. Will it be better now that I'm older? One way to find out. Up next: TMNT 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment