Wednesday 19 December 2018

In memory of John Mitchell

While it's rare that I do these "In memory of" posts, this is one time that I do feel that is justified, not to jump on a bandwagon or anything, but because of the personal attachment that this person has to me.

John Mitchell was one of the first people I ever got to know, one of a few that I saw first. My parents would tell stories to me of how much he tried to protect me when I was in the hospital, how he would stand guard over me while I slept. I don't think I would be where I am today if it wasn't for him. He helped inspire my passion for finding out how machines worked when I was a kid, helped me with construction projects when I was in high school, helped me improve in chess, and this year helped me get to and from the hospital when I had my broken foot during the winter. I owe a lot to him, as he was, and still is, one of only a few role models that I have. He has fought struggle he had to overcome, even when health issue after health issue piled up on him. Unfortunately, he just couldn't fight any longer, as two large surgeries, one for his leaking lung, and one for his bowel, took their toll on him. And when this is released, it means that he would have passed away.

I cannot begin to describe how much he has changed me, helped me through some of the hardest challenges I've had to go through. He was someone I looked up to, sought guidance from when I was lost or struggling, and I cannot begin to describe how much I will miss him. As he and many others have said, life does go on. Life will go on. But this world will not be the same without him.

Goodbye Pop. I know wherever you end up, you truly do deserve it. I just hope that now you can finally live without the pain of your aging body, and all that it's been though. You fought to the very end.

No comments:

Post a Comment