Wednesday 19 September 2018

Sailor Moon Marathon; Sailor Moon SuperS (Cloverway Dub): Sailor Moon into Dreams... yeah I had nothing so NiGHTS refference

Where does one go after scientific witches try to find the Holy Grail? Clowns stealing dreams to try and get a Pegasus... yeah, we're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here... Well, the end is in site, so let's see how one of the last Sailor Moon show, and the last to be given an English dub before VIZ took over went, let's look at Sailor Moon SuperS. No, I don't know why they don't call it Super S either, some sites do, some don't.


So then, what story have they worked around the same old episode plot structure? If you are a Sailor Moon fan and have read the Dream arc, then you know exactly what to expect here. Granted I'm assuming you've probably read it and seen the show, in Japanese probably because of how hated English Dubs are to Anime fans (at least outside of Japan, I can't claim to know how they're taken there). Our new villains are the Dead Moon Circus (believe me, I wish I could make a killer clown joke, I did try), who are seeking a Golden Crystal, an item tied to a new ally the scouts have, Pegasus.

Oh, I wish it was that one, but no, I do mean Pegasus as in the animal. Pegasus (why is that his name?), can only safely exist inside someone's pure dreams, as such he is staying in Rini's dreams, while the Circus, like all the other shows before now, target mostly teenage girls to look into their dreams, normally coming with an evil demon of sorts that the Scouts fight off. Ladies and Gentlemen, if you don't mind me being honest here, at this point I am so bloody bored with this plot structure that I stopped watching. However, that's only part of the problem with why I stopped watching and caring, and that is, once again, the work on the dub itself. It somehow feels even lazier compared to S. Some of the performances sounds even worse now then they did there, even though it's the same cast, was the direction they were given that bad? This is genuinely on the level of something like Transformers Robots in Disguise 2001. I can sit through a bad dub (or what many consider to be a bad dub compared to the original, but most of it comes from the fact that I don't watch the Japanese dubs), so when I call something a bad dub, you know it's genuinely bad.


Is there anything I can praise about it? Well, the new intro animation is better than S', and very fitting of the dream theme. The scenes with all the "clowns" in the circus tent are genuinely creepy as well. Again, this series does not have a problem with monster and enemy designs. But apart from that, everything else is about the same as Sailor Moon S, if not worse. There's not much to say otherwise. See you next week for the conclusion with Sailor Moon Crystal, and on the Toybox this Sunday is a small Lego set review. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment